Today I have Suzanne Selfors, the author of Mad Love here.
I'm also having a giveaway for her books Mad Love and Coffeehouse Angel.
1. Can you share with us where your original interest in Cupid came from and why you decided to add his story to the mix in MAD LOVE?
I love Greek and Roman mythology. I have since taking the class in high school. The stories sucked me right in and I go back to them time and time again when I write my own stories. In Coffeehouse Angel, I reimagined Hermes. In my first adult book, Daughter of Crete, I reimagined Ariadne. And this time round, I knew I wanted to do something with Cupid.
My idea was this--the Greek and Roman gods are gone. No one worships them anymore. But what if Cupid got left behind? What if he's still wandering around, even though he's no longer needed? That's the idea that got me started.
2. What are a few personality traits we can expect to see from Alice and Errol?
Alice is kind. And she's loyal. She'll do anything to help her mother, even at the expense of her own happiness. Though she's gone without it for a long time, she still believes in the power of love.
Errol is worn out. He's rude and he's impatient. He's lived a long time and he's developed a negative opinion about love.
3. What was the easiest, and most difficult part of using the tale of Cupid and Psyche in this story?
It's a long story. So the most difficult part was to boil it down to its essence, to sum it up in a few well-chosen paragraphs.
Psyche has this really long journey where she travels the earth and has to complete all these tasks, and it goes on and on and on. I didn't want to bore the reader with all that so I left it out.
4. What other myths do you enjoy? Do you think you will ever use any of them in one of your books?
I will definitely continue to rely on mythology for inspiration. It's the basis of most stories we tell/read.
Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors
Publisher: Walker Books for Young Readers (January 4th, 2011)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardback: 336 pages
When you're the daughter of the bestselling Queen of Romance, life should be pretty good. But 16-year-old Alice Amorous has been living a lie ever since her mother was secretly hospitalized for mental illness. After putting on a brave front for months, time is running out. The next book is overdue, and the Queen can't write it. Alice needs a story for her mother—and she needs one fast.
That's when she meets Errol, a strange boy who claims to be Cupid, who insists that Alice write about the greatest love story in history: his tragic relationship with Psyche. As Alice begins to hear Errol's voice in her head and see things she can't explain, she must face the truth—that she's either inherited her mother's madness, or Errol is for real.
Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors
Publisher: Walker & Company (August 21st, 2009)
Reading Level: Young Adult
Hardback: 276 pages
When a random act of kindness involves Katrina with Malcolm, a handsome teenage guardian angel intent on fulfilling her greatest wish, fame and fortune seem like the most obvious requests. But after two botched wishes, Malcolm knows Katrina is hiding something from him. How can she tell him the truth, when her heart's desire has become Malcolm himself?
- 1 winner will receive a copy of Mad Love and Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors.
- You must be at least 13 to enter.
- Name and email must be provided and counts as 1 entry.
- Extra entries are possible and links must be provided.
- Contest is US Only and ends March 17th.
- Once contacted the winner will have 48 hours to respond with their mailing address.
- The form must be filled out to enter.
Find Suzanne Selfors
Website | Goodreads
Purchase Mad LoveAmazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository
Purchase Coffeehouse AngelAmazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository